- New York Times Best Selling Author
- “Dancing with the Stars” Tour
- Season 23 Dancing With the Stars Champion
- 2016 Olympic Silver Medalist (Beam)
- 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist (Team)
- Named to the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team
- 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials: All-Around Silver; Beam Gold; Floor Bronze
- 2016 National Championships: All-Around Bronze; Floor Bronze; Beam Bronze; Uneven Bar Bronze
- 2016 Pac Rim Championships: Team Gold; All-Around Bronze
- 2016 City of Jesolo Trophy: Team Gold; All-Around Bronze; Beam Gold; Vault Silver
- 2015 Junior National Champion
- 2015 U.S. Classic Champion
- 2015 City of Jesolo Trophy: Junior All-Around Champion; Uneven Bar Gold; Floor Gold
- 2015 International Junior Japan Meet: All-Around Champion, Vault Gold, Floor Exercise Gold, Uneven Bar Silver, Beam Silver
Laurie Hernandez burst onto the Senior Elite gymnastics scene in 2016, just in time for the Rio Olympic Games. Her goal had always been to make an Olympic Team and her dream has come true!
Laurie started gymnastics at the age of 6 when she asked her mother to enroll her in the sport because she had so much energy and always wanted to experience the feeling of flying. She enrolled in Monmouth Gymnastics where she met her coach, Maggie Haney, and they have been together ever since.
The turning point in Laurie’s career happened in 2014 when her progress was stalled due to multiple injuries. She returned stronger than ever by becoming the 2015 U.S. Junior National Champion and has been on the rise since then.
Laurie is known for her dazzling floor exercise routine where she has been nicknamed the “human emoji” for her outgoing facial expressions and for her grace and artistry on the balance beam.
Laurie is a second generation American, as her grandparents are from Puerto Rico, making her the first U.S. born Latina to make the U.S. team since 1984. Laurie credits her hard work, leadership skills, and her never give up attitude to her Mom, who was in the Army Reserves while Laurie was growing up.
When not in the gym, Laurie enjoys spending time with her family which includes her Mom and Dad, her older brother, and sister. She is also involved in her church and likes to write poetry and learn dances in her spare time.